Sunday, September 9, 2012

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” William Shedd quotes

I blame it all on Charley.  Charley, the French Poodle (black, clipped, and very refined if I may say so myself) and his owner, John Steinbeck.  And of course Rocinante, their sturdy and dependable truck.  

The young stowaway - fortunately discovered before they left - would have shared my sentiments, longing for travel and wide open spaces.  The road, always calling....

So here I am, all the way from South Africa.  Hello America, you've been my gracious home for the last 12 years, and I love you dearly.  So much still to see and explore, so many wonderful people still to meet, and all the chicken fried steak still to enjoy..!
 

1 comment:

  1. ..In my enthusiasm writing my first entry I should have mentioned that the characters mentioned are from the book "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck. That book sowed the seeds of adventure and travel in a teenage mind..and here I am, and I still blame Charley :)

    ReplyDelete