Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Obstacles..

Turn 'em into opportunities!

Yesterday was one of "those" Mondays. We have all had our share of those, and I was overdue for mine..!

The bad:  My driver's license had expired.   The good:  I discovered the fact before "anyone" else :)  For a citizen this would not be a huge issue, but I am a "foreigner" and it's complicated.  After a frantic phone call to hubby, we decided that there was only one option:  I have to get on a plane, go back to South Carolina and renew my passport to freedom (i.e. the driver's license). 
Note:  SC DMV's website states that they do not do online or mail renewals any more, as you have to have a vision test or bring proof of a recent examination.

Now for the checklist of documentation, and I'm in a panic.  I need a current car insurance bill (not cards), a utility bill, birth certificate and more.  I am a foreigner.  Since I'm not at my primary residence and since I'm trying to conserve our trees and forests I had opted out of paper statements in favor of  e-statements.  But with the help of my friend Tiersa, an awesome State Farm agent, and my Virgo-like tendencies to be over-prepared, I located all the needed paperwork.  Relief.  Booked my flight to Charleston for tomorrow.

The bad:  I can't drive myself around.  The good? We have a truck in Charleston, and  my friend Kelley has the day off on Thursday, and voila, another problem solved.  And I get to have some much needed "girl-time" with Kelley.

My menfolk work and cannot take me to Bush Intercontinental.  So I start researching shuttles and cabs and even limos..yes, limos!  A taxi would cost me a whopping $140 to the airport.  Galveston Limo, however, has a service for only $55. Kudos to a super nice lady who answers the phone at reservations. Being a Virgo, I am "thrifty"..(I don't think I want to call myself "cheap", but ya know what I mean).  I do have to be at another pickup location, about 9 minutes from where I stay, but to save a whopping $85 I can get up early to leave with hubby.  The location (another hotel) is on his way to work.  My dear friend Mary has sent me books.  I have opportunity to read.

All day long yesterday I griped about this unnecessary trip, the drag, the expense.  Today my mood has lifted and I'm turning this obstacle into the opportunity to visit with  friends that I have not seen recently - to have a little fun after the legalities are taken care of.  My dear friend Shirley lives downtown on the Battery in Charleston.  I may have time to go surprise her...Monday may have turned around, after all.


1 comment:

  1. Too true! Is it really cheaper to take a limo than an ordinary taxi? Amazing..

    ReplyDelete